Every summer the Scripts festival team is delighted to bring a number of talented artists from around the nation to Birr! We’re thrilled to introduce our 2022 programme.
We will run a series of blogs introducing each play, workshop and artists over the coming weeks, but we just couldn’t wait to reveal some of our programme highlights.
Live performances will include :
• Bloody Yesterday, a brand new play by Deirdre Kinehan,
• Wake, a critically acclaimed one hander by Irene Kelleher,
• Looking for América, by husband and wife duo Janet Moran and Frederico Julián González.
• Promenade Performance, created especially for the festival in collaboration with Birr Stage Guild.
• Living with a Fairy, a play for the whole family from Jay Ryan (as seen on RTE Junior)
The highlight of the week-end is of course our festival finale “Nurtured New Works” which features the 3 winners of our call for submissions. Chosen from a pool of more than 130 entries, the 3 successful writers will receive a week of mentorship with award-winning Offaly writer Eugene O’Brien before seeing their play come to life on stage on Sunday the 10th.
Finally, we are excited to unveil the very first George B. Miller Award, a new collaboration by Scripts and Youth Theatre Ireland.
The selected writers will see their new plays for 11-14 year olds performed for the very first time as live readings during the opening night of the festival.
We love working with these seriously talented and wonderful people, and we can’t wait to share all that creativity, all this energy and all this talent with our audience members from July the 7th!